City of Pasadena
Home   |    Search   |    Help   |    Contact Us   |    Acknowledgements    |    Admin   |   
Resource Summary
Resource Summary
Address: 99 S RAYMOND APN: 5722-001-700 [print]
Address: 99 S RAYMOND
City: Pasadena State: CA
Zip Code: 91105 County: Los Angeles
County Code: 37
Historic Name: The Hotel Green Common Name: The Castle Green
APN: 5722-001-700 Zoning: CD1
Building Sq. Ft: Site Size (Acres): 0.740
Year Built: 1898 Documented District: OLD PASADENA
District: OLD PASADENA (designated)
Property Status: Designated
Resource Description:
Individually listed in the National Register, the Castle Green/Hotel Green occupy the entire block between Fair Oaks and Raymond Avenues on the west and east and Green and Dayton streets on the north and south.

The Castle Green, then called the Central Building, was constructed in 1898 and was connected to the original portion of the Hotel Green at the second story by a pedestrian bridge over Raymond Avenue. In 1903, an addition, then called the North Annex was constructed along the length of Green Street and connected to the Wooster Block, which was constructed in 1887. This portion of the building is now referred to as the Hotel Green.

In the 1920s the popularity of the hotel began to wane. Around this time, the original portion of the hotel east of Raymond was sold and the name was changed to the Pasadena Hotel. In 1926, the Castle Green was converted into a cooperative apartment building. In 1929, the bridge between the two buildings was torn down as it was no longer necessary and impeded the flow of traffic. In 1935, the original portion of the hotel was demolished except for a small portion at the corner of Green Street (80-82 South Raymond Avenue). The North Annex and the Wooster Block fell into a state of disrepair, but was converted into an apartment building for senior citizens in 1972. These are now two separate buildings that were counted as one in the original application for the district.

The Castle Green has a north-south orientation and sits approximately 100 feet from Raymond Avenue and 30 feet from Dayton Street, which provides space for a large garden. It is a six- and seven-story building that is eclectic in design with references to Spanish Colonial Revival and Islamic architecture. The steel-framed and brick building has a rough stucco finish. The large scale of the building is relieved by a variety of treatments to its massing, roofline, fenestration, and exterior ornamentation.

The North Annex and the Wooster Block (now called the Hotel Green) extend along Green Street from Raymond to Fair Oaks Avenues. Although they were constructed at different times by different architects, they are joined internally and are both steel-framed structures sheathed in cement plaster. The North Annex was constructed in 1903 as an addition to the Castle Green. It was designed by Frederick L. Roehrig, who also designed the Castle Green. The seven-story east section is covered by a low-pitched hipped roof with corbelled supporting brackets, while the six story middle section has a shed roof carried on overhanging eaves. The window and door openings have little detailing. A large buttressed brick chimney appears on the most eastern point. The south façade is dominated by the semi-circular projection of what was originally the hotel’s dining room and by square towers at each end.

The six-story Wooster Block is distinct from the North Annex, having been constructed in 1887 according to plans by C.L. Strange. The building’s wealth of detail is almost Romanesque in feeling. It is covered by a low shed roof that is characterized by overhanging eaves, exposed rafters, and clay tiles. The street-facing elevations are articulated by numerous bays and arches. In 1987 the North Annex and the Wooster Block underwent a certified rehabilitation.
Legal Description:
Primary Architectural Style: Mediterranean Revival
Secondary Architectural Style:
Architect: Frederick L. Roehrig
Context: Citywide Historic Context & Property Type Report 
Original Owner: Col. George G. Green
Original Use: Hotel Resort
Original Location:
Demolished: no
Moved: no
Date Moved: n/a
Designation Date: n/a
Mills Act: A contract and work program
was recorded in 12/31/2009

* This is a simplified statement of the property's status. Please review the NRHP Status Code field on the search screen for official, adopted status language.